Thursday, November 21, 2013

Raining Barcelona, Spain

My flight from Tehran to Barcelona was delayed, and the whole trip including transfer took 11 hrs. 

Barcelona is Spain's second largest city, with a population of nearly two million people. The city, located directly on the northeastern Mediterranean coast of Spain, has a rich history dating back at least 2,000 years when it gained prominence as a Roman town under its old name, Barcino.
It was raining hard when I arrived, so I rushed to the aerobus into downtown without stopping by the information center. The hostel I booked was right in the middle of downtown and has modem facilities and security. 

Due to the miserable and cold weather, I did not walk too much, only two trips to the super markets, and saw some buildings and stores in the night. The liveliest plazas are Plaça del Sol, Plaça de Rius i Taulet with its clock tower (a favourite meeting place) and Plaça de la Virreina with the 17th-century Església de Sant Joan. I cook some vegetable, and the microwaveable food I bought from the supermarket was pretty tasty. 

All the three staffs in the hostel I talked to have been robbed in the city, so I bought a stronger ped lock from the hostel to lock my valuable in the hostel, while walking in the city with minimum cash to pay for transportation and admissions. Some backpackers were pick pocketed by theft in the metro recently. I found a backpacker from Hong Kong to tour together so we can watch out for each other, and try to walk as much as possible to reduce the chance of using metro.







No comments:

Post a Comment