Monday, November 4, 2013

Esfahan carpet, tea house, traditional. Restaurants & hospitality

I accompanied my friend Diane to shop for a carpet. She was emotionally attached one piece so it was difficult to negotiate down the price. She finally walked away from the piece with a price beyond her budget but I think she was happy with her carpet.

According to the vendor, they are not allowed to sell machine made carpets in the markets, and each piece is unique and done with the waver's personal taste. We run into an older Austrian traveler who plans to buy a piece full of tanks, planets, and other mardon  objects. I also saw one with the World Cup design. 

The AU backpacker referred us to visit a tea house in the square that has pots, pans, lanterns hung on the ceilings. Diane and I had tea after she bought the carpet. 

The is one traditional tea house in the square with mirror deco and looked like a palace. We met an Indonesian backpacker Kurni (studying food science in Russia) in the square so me, Ana, Diane, and Kurni had dinner here. This was my second meal there. 

Diane left the next day to Kashan (later back to Bangkok where she worked as an Interial designer), so Ana, Kurni, and I toured together to the Fire temple, etc. on the way out of the Temple, I asked a lady on the bus for the bus directions, and she invited us back to house for lunch. We shared the food and photos at her house. She later asked her friend to drive us all back to the square, and even accompanied us to visit two sites. Esfahan hospitality just makes us speechless! 

Kurni is an experience couch surfer. We met her host the night before, and he kindly led us to the Armenian part of the city, Jolfa. Kurni tried an Iranian style coconut and lemon sorbet, while we were waiting for her host.
Jolfa has some churches, many trendy restaurants, and even a real Apple Store. I did not have time to stop by to take care of my VPN issues. We then later went to the west site of the city for a traditional restaurant. On our way there, we run into a festival parade. 












No comments:

Post a Comment