Tuesday, October 22, 2013

From Georgia to Armenia

Ortachala bus station is something of a backwater, about 2.5km southeast of the Old Town of Tibilisi. From here marshrutkas depart for Yerevan via the Sadakhlo border point. 

I was glad to be told by other passengers that I should take a different bus line to the bus terminal. However, one lady misunderstood that I wanted to get off at the surfer bath house so I made the stop by accident. I took some photos there then realized that I needed to take bus again to get to the bus terminal. The detour took me one more hour than planned, but I caught up the 10 am bus.

The five hour bus ride and border crossing were easy, and the views were great. My first meal in Armenia was kabab.

I was surprised by how under developed the country side of Armenia was (in between the country sides of Peru and Vietnam). Yet I was equally surprised by how developed the capital Yerevan was.

More people speak English in Armenia than in Georgia, so it took me only 10 minutes instead of 45 minutes as in Tibilisi to find my hostel in Yerevan.








No comments:

Post a Comment