Thursday, September 12, 2013

Way to island hopping

I spent my last night with my host family in Athens via a Chinese buffet dinner and heart to heart conversation.  I told my host my view about life is a collection of trips we shared with others such that no romantic relationship is permanent. We need to evaluate the flow of life base upon what a relationship is instead of what it was or what we promised it as supposed to be.

I struggled with online booking ferries via a joint interface at the last minute. Fortunately, I learned the second day that I could book each leg with each individual company and I did. I then shopped for supplies for the island hopping trip, such as snacks, seasick medication, etc. The medication is Greece is much cheaper than in the US and a lot of them do not require prescription. I forgot some at home and I was very happy to get them here.  Another item worth mentioning is fruit.  I switch from banana and apple to peaches and grapes since the 1st are imported into Greece while the latter two are grown locally. 

The trip to the port itself was a venture. I took Metro to the port and picked up two tickets, and then took shuttle bus to the end of the port for my ferry to Santorini. Blue Horizon is a huge vessel and sailed quite stable. Walking on the deck under moon light in a health body gave me a deep sense of peace and joy. 

The ferry arrived Santorini after mid-night, while I already got email confirmation from the hostel owner that I would be picked up at the port with few other backpackers.

I run into two girls on board visiting from China using euro pass that covers all trains and ferries for 21 days at ~ 350 euro. In contrast, my 10-day 4-leg island hopping ferries already cost me 170 euro. If I drop Jordan/Israel/Egypt and go to Spain/Italy instead, I surely will get an euro pass.








No comments:

Post a Comment