Sunday, September 15, 2013

From Perissa black beach to Crete

I arrived Santorini passed midnight, and was picked up by the hostel bus directly checking into bed. I could barely see the surrounding in the dark. 

Then I woke up and took a whole day tour. As to the 2nd full day, I was busy researching online my options in place of Jordan/Egypt until noon. 

Finally, I got the chance to use the local beach in the early morning on my last day in Santorini.  The beach was made of tiny black lava pebbles, and full of bars and restaurants. Unfortunately, the ocean turned chill already, so I soaked about 15 minutes. I went back again after checking out the hostel to picnic and take photos.  I had some bread, fresh vegetable and fruit, and a can of local beer.

The high speed ferry from Santorini to Crete was delayed. It took me a while to find the local bus stop, and then another 30 minutes to the hotel I booked. I skipped the local youth hostel due to poor reviews. 

I checked with the local tourist info center at 10 pm and decided my plan for the 2.5 days on the island, walked on the nearby beach 100 meters from the main road, got some grocery, cook a simple meal, took a shower, and then rest for the day.

Crete is the largest of the Greekislands and is in the Mediterranean Sea. Crete is well known for its seas and beaches but it has a very contrasting landscape. The island goes from fertile coastal plains to rugged mountains and from busy metropolitan cities to very peaceful hillside villages. throughout Crete,  there are remnants of Roman and Turkish aqueducts and architecture from when these people invaded the island long ago. 










No comments:

Post a Comment