Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hike Mt. Olympus

I met Rebecca and Ashley at the Hostel and we hiked together. They both arrived one day early to get the food supply and bodies ready. On the other hand, I did not have time to shop got food and my cough os still bad.  I tried my best to calm down my cough in the dorm room so they could test better. It was a tough night for me, but I finally managed to fall into sleep.

We had a late start for waiting the hostel owner to drop us at the trail head. I did not realize that the two girl had a aggressive plan to hike 1000 meters via the canyon instead of taxi there like everybody else. The views were nice but the hike was tiring. 

We reached Pionia in 4 hours, and had lunch. Then continued 2 hr to hike up another 1000 meters to the refugee/hud. I had to use hiking sticks for the 2nd part to pull my body up one step at a time.  I was so exhausted and asked myself several times why I was doing this to my body. 

We did not reserve ahead so two of us slept on the donning room floor after 9:30 pm with sleeping mats and bags. Well, one of the kind experience to be waken up 5:30 am. 

It was pretty cold outside but the greek sky was full of stars, more than what I saw in the SNP in August camping trip. 

We hiked another 1000 meters to the summit in the 2nd day morning, and then headed down to share the trail with Greek marothon runners. It also happened when I hiked in Nepal and shared the trails with super marothon runners.  I was always inspired by their strength and speed, but no plan to try it myself.

I was still coughing and I took medication  to keep it under control. Unfortunately, I was too drawzy and scared to take the summit. My new friends were young and energic so they took off on their own.  

I barely made it way down, and hitchhiked twice to get back to the hostel. Lucky me to catch someone driving the same directions. As to my two young friends, they found ride with another hiker and got back just half hour later. They just soaked in the near by beach, which I would try after the sun cools down a little. I am still coughing, but I am glad that I survived the hike.












No comments:

Post a Comment