Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Delphi

I made a new friend Alexandria at the bus station near Medora,  and then we survived the 8-hr bus ride to Delphi together (route Trikala-Lamia-Amfissa-Delphi).

In Greece, each region has it's own bus company, we need ti check with the bus office in each stop to ensure the connections and departing times.

The archaeological site ofDelphi is an UNESCO World Heritage site. In ancient times it was the site of the most important oracle of the god Apollo.  In the inner ἑστία (hestia), or hearth, of the Temple of Delphic Apollo, an άσβεστος φλόγα (eternal flame) burned. 

We quickly checked in a hotel and stated a 3-hr walking tour to cover the archaeological site that is within walking distance from the town. I like Sibylla Hotel which is close to the bus station, clean, reasonably priced, great views to the bay and mountains, and the owner is very friendly and helpful. 

We then had a Nice 4-course dinner of 10 euros in town.  The food was great and the views of the bay was charming.

Alexandria is taking a break before staring a new job as a financial writer in London. She has been backpacking since age 20, and always wanted to create her own career path. I shared with her the lifestyle business podcast, vacotion vacation websites, and my investment experience. I hope the information will help her to create her own path to work and play free style. 

Only on my way out of Delphi that I realized I missed the lower part of the ruin, I.e. Athena Pronea Temple, which was featured on Starbucks Greece mug. Well, so be it. I had my share if Greek ruins. I become sort of ruin-out, after seeing quit a few in the past few days. 

Greek ruins were so damaged by earthquakes, theft, and changes of politic power,  such that it took too much imagination to picture the original structures from the ruins. It requires prior reading of materials, previews in museums, and images on onsite interpretive signs to image their glory. 
Alexandria told me that Greece has been demanding UK to return the ruins back, which were better than what are available in Greece.  Personally, I enjoyed the ambiein of the surrounding natural beauty more than the components of the ruin structures. The components were most kept insides museums to slow down further wear and tear.

Regardless of its glorious history, I feel sorry for Greek people who are suffering from the economy downturn; meanwhile, they are lucky to have strong family tie to support family members via difficult times.  Nothing is permanent in life, neither their glorious past nor their current financial hardship.  

I finally got over with the cold, and feel much better physically and emotional, with friends' help and supports.  I am so blessed with the people's involvement in my life, ranging from guiding me to physical destinations to steering me to my spiritual and emotional growth. 

I am formulating my evening routine to have a meditation session after finishing travel logistic planning.  







No comments:

Post a Comment